Erectile dysfunction is a common condition in elderly people wherein a man experiences the inability to achieve and maintain an erection for satisfying sexual experience.
Impotence commonly occurs in elderly people because the erectile capacity decreases with age.
Erectile dysfunction may also occur in elderly people when:
- When Blood vessels going to the penis become blocked or narrowed also called clogging.
- There is an interference with the nervous system that triggers erection or when there is reduced libido or sexual desire.
Certain diseases may cause blockage or narrowing of the blood vessels also known as clogging. such as:
- Diabetes:- Diabetes can cause clogging of blood vessels due to the sugary elements present in the blood. which can also block the blood vessels connected to the penile region.
- Hypertension:- Hypertension can also cause clogging or blockage of the nerves which leads to an inability to maintain or sustain an erection.
- Nerve damage:- Any damage to the nerve will stop the blood flow to any particular region which may also include penile region causing erectile dysfunction.
- Hormonal imbalances:- Hormonal imbalances can also cause erectile dysfunction(ED) or impotence.
- Multiple sclerosis,
- Heart diseases,
Elderly people are more likely to develop Erectile dysfunction if he is:
- Obese:- If someone is not physically active or someone is obese is likely to develop ED as improper workings of the nerves can lead to clogging which helps in developing Impotence.
- Alcoholic:- Consuming alcohol helps in blocking the nerves ended up causing erectile dysfunction.
- Smoking and taking abusive drugs:- Smoking or doing drugs does the same work as alcohol does. Ultimately helps you develop ED.
Medication may also cause Erectile dysfunction or Impotence as it’s side effects like with:
- and tranquillizers.
Psychological cause play a part in the occurrence of Erectile dysfunction.
- people suffering from stress.
- Any kind of fear.
- or problems in the relationship can suffer from ED.
- Often, Impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED) is caused by a combination of physical and psychological causes.
You may also face some symptoms as well:-
A person who suffers from Impotence or Erectile dysfunction(ED) may experience some symptoms that include:
- Difficulty getting an erection: If you face any sort of difficulty in getting an erection then you should visit your ED doctor ASAP.
- Inability to maintain an erection: If you get an erection and find it hard to maintain it then also you should visit your ED doctor as it can be even worse.
- Decreased Libido or sexual desire: If you are losing interest in sex or not getting orgasm what you used to get. It will be better for you to consult a sex specialist.
How to cure erectile dysfunction?
Lifestyle modification is the least invasive type of treatment for Erectile dysfunction(ED).
healthy lifestyle choices that can helo relieve ED are to:-
- stop smoking,
- stop drinking alcohol or do it moderately,
- lose weight when you are overweight,
- stay away from substances like abusive drugs,
- and to be physically active.
Impotence or ED caused by medication can be treated by replacing or cutting back the mediation, under the guidance of a physician.
psychotherapy is used to treat impotence caused by stress or performance anxiety.
It is also important to talk with your partner about your condition.
Medications like phosphodiesterase inhibitors and testosterone can also be utilised to improve the condition of ED.
These medications can be taken orally or injected directly to the penis for better flow.
or the medication can also be inserted into the tip of the penis.
Your general practitioner can give you more information about the disorder and it is a possible treatment if you put efforts too.